Medical Marijuana Certification
At Heilen Natural Medicine, we are your premier resource for obtaining physician certification for Medical Marijuana. Our caring physicians will take the time to review your medical records in order to determine if you qualify. According to Arizona law, physicians may recommend Medical Marijuana for patients who have been diagnosed with specific medical conditions.
Qualifying Medical conditions
- Acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS)
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Crohn's Disease
- Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)
- Agitation of Alzheimer's disease
- Hepatitis C
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
In addition to these qualifying medical conditions, patients may also qualify if their medical condition has caused any of the following: Cachexia or wasting syndrome, Severe and chronic pain, Severe nausea, Seizures, Severe or persistent muscle spasms, including those characteristic of multiple sclerosis.
If you have not yet been diagnosed with a qualifying medical condition, you may first establish as a full new patient with Heilen Natural Medicine. We will perform a proper medical workup in order to first diagnose your medical condition.
Marijuana, or Cannabis, is classified as a Schedule 1 drug under Federal Law. No physician can actually write a prescription for marijuana. Rather a patient must obtain a "Physician Certification" before applying for a Medical Marijuana Card through the Arizona Department of Health Services (AZDHS). After obtaining a card, a patient may visit a licensed dispensary and obtain Medical Marijuana. At Heilen Natural Medicine, we offer appointments for patients seeking Physician Certification for the use of Medical Marijuana. For an additional fee, we can also provide assistance with the application process to ensure you receive your card in a timely manner.
Steps to Getting Your Medical Marijuana Card
- Collect the last 12 months of your medical records. In order to issue a "Physician Certification," we are required by law to review the last 12 months of your medical records.* If you don't have copies of your medical records, we can help you get them. Use the buttons at the bottom of this page to download a records request form. Fill it out with your doctor's office information and bring it to our office. Patients within the VA medical system should download the VA Records Request form.
- Schedule Appointment. After you have collected the last 12 months of your medical records, please schedule your appointment with Heilen Natural Medicine. If we have sent out records requests on your behalf, we will notify you when records have been received. After records have been received, we will schedule your appointment.
- Fill out New Patient Paperwork. At Heilen Natural Medicine, all medical records are kept electronically. Every patient is set up with access to a secure Patient Portal where all documents, consent forms, and records are kept. Click here to open your New Patient Paperwork and get started. Before filling out the forms, you will be prompted to create a Patient Portal account.
- Come to your appointment. Your appointment for certification will last approximately 60 minutes. During this appointment, our physicians will discuss your medical diagnosis and whether, in our opinion, Medical Marijuana would be beneficial to you. Risks and benefits of Medical Marijuana will be discussed. We will also perform any physical exams necessary. If you qualify, we will provide you with your signed Physician Certification.
- Submit your electronic application. After receiving your Physician Certification from Heilen Natural Medicine, you will need to submit your application for a Medical Marijuana Card to the AZDHS. To review the items necessary to complete your application, download the Patient Checklist below. The application is completed and submitted online. Digital copies of all forms and files are required to complete this process. For an additional fee, the staff at Heilen Natural Medicine can help you complete this process.
- Wait for approval. If your application to the AZDHS is approved, your card will arrive in the mail within 1-4 weeks. You can check the status of your application on the AZDHS website. Click the "Check Application Status" button below to launch this page. You will need your application ID to check the status.